The Philippine Commission on Women (PCW) awarded outstanding Regional Gender and Development Committees (RGADC) and advocates during the 2nd RGADC Summit on September 25 - 26, 2018 at the Hive Hotel in Quezon City.
The award is meant to recognize the efforts and contributions of regional GAD mechanisms in advancing gender mainstreaming at the regional and local levels
Topping the list is RGADC IV-A (CALABARZON) which bagged the most number of awards, including the GAD Trailblazer Award for their immediate reconstitution based on the composition, structures and functions specified in the NEDA-PCW Joint Memorandum Circular 2016-01: Guidelines for the Creation, Strengthening and Institutionalization of an RGADC under the Regional Development Council (RDC).
RGADC IV-A likewise bagged three other awards: the Outstanding RGADC Secretariat for exceptionally providing effective and efficient technical and administrative support to the RGADC resulting in the successful implementation of its plans, projects and activities; the RDC Women Lead Award for having at least 40% women as permanent members of the RDC mandated by RA 9710 or the Magna Carta of Women; and the Plaque of Commendation for pioneering and institutionalizing the Annual Regional Gender and Development Convention since 2011.
Other awardees were:
1. RGADC Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR)
• DOST – CAR as Outstanding RGADC Secretariat; and
• Plaque of Commendation for successfully orchestrating the First Cordillera Administrative Region GAD Focal Point System (GFPS) Assembly on May 30-31, 2018 in Baguio City.
2. RGADC VI
• NEDA-VI as Outstanding RGADC Secretariat; and
• Plaque of Commendation for organizing the multi-stakeholder research forum entitled Voices and Standpoint: Putting Women in the Regional Research and Development Agenda during the 2016 National Women’s Month Celebration
3. RGADC Caraga
• GAD Trailblazer Award
4. RGADC V
• RGADC Women Lead Award for having the most number of women as permanent members of the RGADC
5. RDC III-RGADC
• RDC Women Lead Award
6. RGADC IX
• Plaque of Commendation for successfully organizing the First Regional Gender and Development (GAD) Summit in Region IX on March 1-3, 2018 in Zamboanga City.
The RGADC I, III, XI, and XII were also recognized as promising partners of PCW in pursuing GAD mainstreaming at the regional and local levels. Meanwhile, RGADC-CAR, RDC II-Social Development Committee, RGADC V, Regional Sub-Committee on GAD (RSCGAD) VII, and RGADC Caraga were recognized as pioneering partners of PCW in the localization of the Magna Carta of Women down to the barangay level.
Motivation for improving the lives of Juanas and Juans
In her message, PCW Chairperson Rhodora M. Bucoy shared her hope that the recognition given by PCW will motivate and inspire RGADCs to widen the GAD advocacy in their respective regions.
“The award is a validation of your great work, and great work means more work. PCW wants to see the real impact of our advocacy work in improving the lives of Juanas and Juans” said PCW Chairperson Bucoy.
National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Undersecretary for Central Support Office Jose Miguel R. Dela Rosa, on the other hand, shared that PCW and RGADCs have come a long way in advancing GAD mainstreaming in the regions and the conferment of award to outstanding RGADCs was very timely to recognize their contributions.
As a sign of triumph, unity and hope in the GAD advocacy, Undersecretary Dela Rosa led the ceremonial toast together with Chairperson Bucoy.
The PCW likewise conferred the “Gawad AlaGAD” to individuals who have shown exemplary leadership, passion and commitment in pursuing GAD advocacy and mainstreaming in the regions.
The awardees were as follows:
• NEDA CALABARZON Regional Director Luis G. Banua for his exemplary leadership and unwavering support in advancing gender and development mainstreaming in CALABARZON as Chairperson of the Regional Gender and Development Committee (RGADC) IV-A. His vision and guidance resulted to the successful implementation of innovative and sustainable programs and interventions to address gender-related issues and concerns in the region.
• NEDA CAR Regional Director Milagros A. Rimando for her exemplary leadership and steadfast support in advancing gender and development in the Cordillera Administrative Region as the first Chairperson of the Regional Gender and Development Committee (RGADC) - CAR from 2014-2016. As a distinguished career executive official, she has inspired the officers and members of RGADC-CAR to uphold the highest standard of managing a fully functional regional GAD mechanism in the region.
• CHR Caraga Regional Director Atty. Jerefe D. Tubigon-Bacang for her unwavering commitment and leadership in making the Regional Gender and Development Committee (RGADC) Caraga a dynamic and fully functional GAD mechanism since its reconstitution in 2016. Her guidance steered the active participation of all RGADC Caraga members in the development and implementation of various GAD related activities and programs in the region
• CHED 1 Regional Director Cherrie Melanie A. Diego for generously sharing her knowledge and expertise on Gender and Development in building the capacities of the member agencies of the Regional Gender and Development Committee of Ilocos Region. Her passion and dedication has inspired RGADC 1 to be a vibrant and efficient GAD mechanism since its reconstitution in 2016.
• NEDA 1 Assistant Regional Director Donald James D. Gawe for his dedication in providing technical and administrative support as lead Secretariat of RGADC IV-A from 2014-2017 and for championing the strengthening and institutionalization of RGADC in the Ilocos Region.
The selection of awardees is based on the results of the submitted RGADC profile of each region, accomplished evaluation form of the RGADC, and assessment of PCW-Technical Services and Regional Coordination Division (TSRCD) based on the existing partnership with the RGADCs.
Search for national awards on-going
The RGADC Awards and Gawad AlaGAD forms part of the GADtimpala Awards, which is the official GAD Incentives and Awards System of the PCW.
GADtimpala stands for Gender and Development Transformation and Institutionalization through Mainstreaming of Programs, Agenda, Linkages, and Advocacies. The Award aims to recognize deserving entities, government agencies, and local government units for their outstanding performance in gender mainstreaming and effective implementation of gender responsive programs. Such programs should have visible impacts in terms of upholding the rights of women, achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment, and transforming lives of women and men.
In August 2018, PCW launched the year-long search for National Government Agency (NGA) GADtimpala Awardees: GADtimpala for Outstanding Gender-Responsive Agency and GADtimpala for Outstanding Gender-Responsive Program. For more information about the 2018 GADtimpala for NGA Awards, please visit http://bit.ly/MC_GADtimpala2018.